Tuesday, August 18, 2009

DUALITY OF THE MIND

The finish line is in sight. No longer are we running towards an invisible end. It's so close we can almost reach out and grab it. A month and a half from now I'll look back to this moment while watching a football game on my big screen with one of my friends, either Jack or Beam. I'll be sitting on my couch with my feet kicked up, and some home made chicken wings on the table. I'll be wrestling with my boys during commercials, and giving my wife that "stop talking to me during the game" look while watching my cowboys wreck havoc on the opposition. I'll sit there staring at the screen and at some point during the game my mind will wonder back to this place. I'll come back to this moment in my mind and say to myself, that went by quick. Time flies in hindsight, but I also know that in the moment it can be an eternity. I remember when i was at the 90 day mark. That seems like forever ago. Now I’m down around the 30 day mark and the times going ungodly slow. It seems like for the last 30 days I’ve been between the 30-40 days left mark. The logical side of my brain tells me there's not a difference of 30 between 30-40 (lol, I can count), but physically and subconsciously my mind and body feels as if I've been stuck in a time warp of sorts. Maybe it's because once you get down to the last month you can start counting weeks by default. Or maybe not. Maybe I’m just trying to understand this time pause so that i can unpause it metaphorically speaking. Whatever it is i just want it to be over. It's like for a year I’ve been running at a nice comfortable pace and now that I can see the finish line i want to sprint it out.

A part of me is telling me to slow down though. Don't be in such a hurry to have all of this end. It's telling me to soak it all in and let it resonate with in me. A part of me knows that these last 30 some odd days will probably be the last I ever spend in this country. Like it or not, this country and the two years I've spent here have become a part of my soul. It will all end soon and all I'll have are the memories. Believe it or not, they're all aren’t bad. The bonds formed through tribulation and the friends turned brothers are experiences that I will never forget. As the years pass we will all take different paths through life and disconnect. I'm going to miss my brothers. If i live to be an old man I'll look back on these days and truly feel sad. I'm going to miss these guys. There's a lot to be say for going through a shitty situation while having the luxury of being surrounded by some great people.

I miss my family more then words can express. That's what makes this deployment hard. I'm mentally strong by nature, but not being with my wife and children for a year has the ability to push the limits of my resolve. Soon I'll be with them again. I'll awake to them in the morning and be there when they go to sleep at night. After a while it will become routine and I'll start to miss the guys with whom I've lived with for the past year. Some of them will still be in my life, while others with drift away into the shadows of my memories. It's inevitable. It's a double life that i live. One with my brothers in arms and the other with my love and seeds. I wish like hell the two could merge into a hybrid well balanced life but I fear any attempt of mine to have this wish realized would be fruitless. I know there isn't a way for me to assuage the anguish of the situation. So I'll choose my family..... but miss until my days end the men with whom I stood shoulder to shoulder with in the face of an adversary hell-bent on destroying us.

7 comments:

Mayhem At The McNeils said...

i dont even have words right now> i really dont>(BUT I'LL TRY)
i wish i could understand the bond you have formed with people over there. i mean, i can try to get it, but i know i can never fully understand the depth of it. im sorry that you have this feeling of loss. i hope you know that i will help you "merge the two" to the best of my ability. i think its important for you to know that you can have both merged. it wont be anything like the closeness you all had in Iraq, but its up to you to keep those bonds alive with them once you are home. Ive realized during this deployment that i didnt handle the last deploment so well when you got home. I got mad when you wanted to go "hang" with the guys. I was sad and mad that you didnt want to be here with us. I was so wrong. Ive realized that as much as you love me, i cannot help or understand you the way that your buddies that have been in iraq can. I apologize for being unrealistic in thinking that i alone could help you. i just love you so much and want to be able to help you...and i will still do my best to be here and listen when you want to talk...but i will also whole-heartedly ENCOURAGE you to be with your friends. it is possible to merge the two hubby. Just keep the lines of communication open between us with what your thinking and feeling( which you dont do very well but will need to work on) and it will be easier for me to not take it personally when you need to be away. you mental and emotional health is so important and i dont want to interfere with that.
I cannot wait to have you here and meet some of your friends love.Remember...its up to you on where these friendships go. you can either let them drift into your memories or you can make an conscious effort to keep in touch with them every.single.day.
I love you and miss you, and as always, thank you for sharing!
xoxoxoxoxoxo

Anonymous said...

NUGHT,
Your situation reminds me of my friend, currently in Afghanistan. He has his friends in his unit, and his wife back here. He loves his wife, as you do yours, but those men will only be able to understand what he's going through over there (same with your guys). So, as your wife said, keep the lines open with the guys. The friendship you have with them needn't end when you come home. 30 days man! Stay strong! We'll be cheering for you on this side of the Atlantic!

DAVE said...

THIRTY DAYS HOTSHOT........COVER YOUR ASS TWO TIMES...

LOVE YA MAN
DAVE

Anonymous said...

Merging the two lives into a hybrid really is possibility, and the smart thing to do, not saying it's easy.
You're young enough there's no saying where the hell you could be in ten years. Who knows, you could wind up with some kind kind of peace time job there if that's what you want... nobody knows what the future looks like.
Remember that leaving has its' own kind of stress and factor it in. Best of luck!! z

Deborah said...

Sentiment, what a beautiful thing Michael. Damn your a hell of a writer. I think it's your calling?

Love You and See You Soon!!!
xoxo

Deborah said...

ps I'm going to be needing one of those long sleeved, thermal shirts. I get cold in the winter and they look comfy!!!!

(~:

NUGHT said...

Yeah i have Two... when i get home you can have them....